BLACK & BRIGHT INTERNSHIP AGREEMENT
UPDATED JULY 2021
Black & Bright caters for all businesses and individuals, acting as a single point of contact for all design and marketing needs. Our objective is to provide design solutions that are visually appealing and that function at their best as visual communication media. We support our clients through the whole design process. We aim to build long-term relationships with our clients, serving them before and after the design project.
It’s important to have things written down so that both parties know what’s what. In this agreement you won’t find any complicated legal terms or long passages of unreadable text. We’ve no desire to trick you into signing something that you don’t agree with. What we do want is what’s best for both parties, now and in the future.
Black & Bright offers an internship to students and professionals who seek to gain more experience in their fields within the visual communication industry.
During this period, you agree to work on assignments to be determined by the company. During this period, you agree to devote 15 to 40 hours per week, or a maximum of 160 hours per month, on assignments to be determined by the company. The internship terms may be reviewed and revised after one month.
Work will normally be performed at Black & Bright’s home office in Elarduspark, Pretoria, and from your home, but occasionally may take place at other locations in and around Gauteng, as required. We suggest that you work at least 2 – 3 times a week at our office, since it is difficult to gain work experience and get feedback in isolation. This makes communication much simpler and will give you the opportunity to grow as a designer. Work priority and scheduling will be at our discretion. Work will normally occur between 9:00 to 17:00 on weekdays.
You are required to work on a variety of graphic and website design projects, catering for a variety of differenT Black & Bright clients, delivering work of the highest quality.
What we look for:
3. Willingness to learn
- Work experience in the visual communication industry
- Flexible work hours
- Training and guidance in the visual communication industry
- Design business skills
- You’ll get your own deliverables or projects to work on
- We’ll give you a place to work at our offices (with fantastic wifi and good coffee)
- We’ll give you a reference letter and a reference on your CV
- Comission on referrals
Your roles and responsibilities may include:
- Various graphic and web design projects
- Branding and corporate stationery design
- Image/icon editing and manipulation
- Social media marketing
- Various office and business tasks
- Project management
The nitty gritty:
- Please note that this is an unpaid internship to gain work experience. There is however an opportunity to collaborate on projects in order to receive an income, and we will cover your transport costs. See the Remuneration structure section for more detail.
- We would like to help you grow as a design professional, not merely to outsource work to you. We expect to have a basic knowledge of the industry-standard Adobe software, relevant to your field of study. We will share tutorials to help you expand your skill set.
- You are not employed by Black & Bright, but will act as an independent contractor for us in a role we deem fit. We are therefore not responsible for fulfilling any roles that are reserved for employees, such as submitting tax on your behalf.
- You agree that you will not sub-contract any of the work we delegate to you to anyone else, including other freelancers, agencies, or online services, unless we agree upon it beforehand. Please tell us if you’re struggling to complete a project; we’ll make a plan.
- Designs from our stock library websites and our original designs that we share with you may not be used in any other non-Black & Bright project. Also, don’t share our login details with other people, not cool.
- You guarantee that all elements of text, images or other artwork you provide are either owned by yourself, or that you have permission to use them, such as using stock content. When using stock graphics, make sure you modify them a bit to make them unique. You’ll make sure that the work you produce will not infringe on anyone’s copyright or intellectual property rights. So basically don’t make exact copies of existing work, especially existing logo designs.
- When you provide text, images or other artwork to us, you agree to protect us from any claim by a third party that we’re using their intellectual property. Basically, your mistake, your problem. This goes both ways. If Black & Bright makes a mistake and infringe on someone’s copyright, it’s our problem.
- Several concepts may be presented to the client. The moment that the client chooses one, that concept art along with all subsequent drafts and final work based on the initial concept becomes the intellectual property of Black & Bright or our client, depending on the agreement of the project. This basically means that you can’t take the same final design made for Black & Bright or for one of our clients, and resell it to a different client.
- Any initial concepts that have not been approved or chosen by the client remain your own property and can be used at your own discretion on other projects. We’ll let you know if we think one of your older designs may work well for future Black & Bright projects, and of course we will compensate you.
- You agree to not disclose any personal, confidential or sensitive information of us, our projects, our systems and and our clients to anyone.
- You agree to not directly contact any of our clients for independent work outside of Black & Bright without our prior permission.
- Our clients may wish to keep certain projects confidential. You are not allowed to showcase or share your work done for Black & Bright and our clients without permission. Please check with us how to reference a project before you publish it in your portfolio.
- Should you become aware of any conflict of interest between you and any project you work on with us, you promise to disclose this to us. A conflict of interest is a situation in which a person or organisation is involved in multiple interests, and serving one interest could involve working against another. Being a proactive communicator will result in a better working relationship between us.
- We will only source, create and share information with you on platforms we deem to be secure and private and expect you to do the same. Don’t use dodgy software.
- You will ensure that your computer and any other device you use to communicate with us or work on any project with us have security software installed and actively running on the device to protect it from malware or data leaks. You also agree to create unique, complex passwords and storing it privately in a secure location. We recommend that you use a password vault. Please ask us if you need assistance.
Remuneration and referrals
- Black & Bright agrees to pay you a basic fee to cover your transport expenses to our office.
- Payment will be made at the end of the term. An invoice needs to be submitted by you.
- We may review this agreement after a one-month probation period if you would like to continue to work with us.
- We are always keen to expand the Black & Bright brand. Growth opportunities will be discussed during the review.
- Should you identify opportunities for us to collaborate on projects, we will happily work in partnership with you.
- You will ensure that a client has agreed to you sharing his/her contact details with us before referring anyone to us.
- Black & Bright will supply you with relevant marketing material to enable you to generate leads. Only converted leads will qualify for commission. All other work that sprouts out of a lead at a later stage will also qualify for payable commission.
- 20% project commision for all successful converted leads will be payable once the client has paid.
Although the language is simple, the intentions are serious and this agreement is a legal document. Please let us know if anything is unclear.